Friday 25 November 2011

Bag Books: Last Breath


Last Breath by Rachel Caine

For anyone who doesn't know, I really enjoy reading Caine's work, though my favourite series is the Weather Warden collection, however I get immense satisfaction from reading the Morganville Vampire novels.

Last Breath is Morganville Book #11 and continues following the life of little human Claire and her friends. What I like is that in the foreword you are given a welcome to the book and in the introduction you pretty much given the feel of the town in a couple of pages, but also a brief summary of the previous novels.

Anyone who hasn't read the Morganville novels, don't worry and you should, this is a fresh story with only mentions of the previous bad guy. I enjoy the way Caine will write little introductory sentances to characters which give depth for new readers, but also a refresher for seasoned Morganville readers.

Caine tried something new with this and told the story from several view points, which made a nice change to be able to know what Amelie's thought process was.

The story was great, Myrnin came into his own as usual and is easily my favourite character, fanged bunny slippers and all. My only complaint is that the character's (not naming them because I don't want to spoil the story) death wasn't fleshed out enough, I would have liked them to be dead a little while longer and explore their surroundings and the new character they meet a bit more.

I love the track lists that Caine puts into the backs of her books, it's a great accompaniment to a scene but it also helps find new music to listen to.

Another thing, I adore having the UK exclusive short stories, not sure what we did to deserve them, but they're great for character development.

I love this book. If anyone wants to get into this series, they're in this order:

Glass Houses
The Dead Girls Dance
Midnight Alley
Feast of Fools
Lord of Misrule
Carpe Corpus
Fade Out
Kiss of Death
Ghost Town
Bite Club
Last Breath


Peace, love and all that jazz. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment