Friday 26 August 2011

Bag Books: One Day


One Day by David Nicholls

This book has received so much hype and as the movie is coming out, I thought I'd read it before I go see it.

So, first off, I'd like to say how pleasing on the eye I find the cover and first few pages. Decorative without trying too hard and at the beginning of each part, the book is split into five, you're met with a nice quote, relevant to each part of the characters lives.

The story follows Emma and Dexter's lives over 20 years on the 15th July, which is where the book gets it's title, One Day. At first I did think, based on the movie trailers, that it was 'One Day' as in 'One Day I'll get him, he'll be my husband etc.'
I find the way it's written, switching between points of view, refreshing, and written in a way that doesn't confuse the reader.

It's a such a cliche but it is a roller coaster of emotions and you feel like you've known Em & Dex, Dex & Em for a long time, pretty much as long as the book spans really.

Without spoiling it, it is a sad ending and my jaw literally dropped when I read it, then I stared at the page whilst tears pricked my eyes, then I re-read the last paragraph to make sure I had interpreted it correctly.

This is a great story, one that will definately leave you gripped.

Peace, love and all that jazz. xo

I haven't had this reaction to a book since I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on it's release day.

No comments:

Post a Comment