Thursday 4 August 2011

Media Overload

I don't know about you, but I find myself overwhelmed by the media sprung at me, daily, weekly, monthly. There are so many programs to watch, movies to see, books to read, music to listen to, games to play and exhibitions to visit that I'm completely swamped.

I have honestly not been to an art gallery in the past year, I really enjoy art, but sadly it's been dropped from my curriculum. The same can be said of most television programs, which I generally catch up with online if I'm really interested (this being One Tree Hill at the moment) or I wait for the DVD release.

How are we supposed to keep up with it all?

Movies and Televison
There are thousand of of things to watch! New movies and films are being made all the time, which generally you want to see, but what about the back catalogue? The films you've never seen but want to? Films made before you were born, or you didn't see at the time. Pay Per View sports matches, wrestling in my case, that you are desperate to actually see, but will have to wait for the DVD because it's on at stupid-o'clock. The dramas, the soaps, the made for tv movies, the reality shows, the historical shows, the satirical shows. There's so much to see on so many channels.
A friend of mine has a very full Sky Planner, now that's a luxury, so many diverse programs she has to watch, that she tries to fit in along with her social life. I am envious of her... Sky Planner that is, I feel that I need it.
I have given up on soaps, I just read the television guide now, and in reality you can pretty much get the gist of the weeks episode from the guide's front cover. There is only one tv show I'm following at the moment, and that's when I use the 4od player.
I have box sets to watch, so many DVDs to catch up on. I'm currently, meaning: as I write, watching The Island, and that came out in 2005, so 6 years behind.

Games
Although I don't play many games, my fiance does, I do like to watch though. Now as soon as he starts one, another game comes along. Though as soon as you finish a game, they release a DLC (Down Loadable Content) that contains more maps, more characters etc.

Music
I currently find music impossible to follow, the only times I go to a gig these days are for the fiance's gigs. I also find the charts hard to follow. Music has taken a backburner.

Books
I have recently realised how far behind I am on my reading as a whole, I have stacks of books but most I have never read, and I keep buying more. I guess some of these were best sellers, or maybe books of note, I have one book I bought purely because I know the author and was going to tell her how impressed I was with the story, this was at least 6 months ago and I still haven't read it, though luckily I never told her I had bought it. This year a new author came into my life, Rachel Caine, and I am rather addicted to her Weather Warden and Morganville series, meaning; I had to buy and read 2 series of books, putting all my other books on the shelf, so to speak.
So what about all my other books? The poor, unread ones? Well, I have a solution! I've written a list of them all and put it up on my wall, so I constantly see it, and I cross them off once I've read them. Simple really.
I have just purchased 2 more books that are getting good reviews at the moment, these shall be added to the list once they arrive.
This also means I have new motivation for Bag Books.

Though I do believe that if I know I wont like it, I'll never get around to it.

Love, peace and all that jazz. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment