Friday 2 September 2011

Bag Books: Afterwards


Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

I've written this as soon as I've finished the book, I started it this morning and couldn't put it down and read all 450 pages in practically one sitting.

This is a very clever story, seen through the eyes of Grace, a 39 year old mother, who has an out of body experience as she tries to piece together what happened to her and her teenage daughter during a fire, and she sees what happens to the rest of her family during her comatose time in hospital.

Like I mentioned, you find out what happens but you're fed plenty of red herrings along the way, adding intruige, keeping you hooked. There's also a theme of love, which sounds cliche but it's so beautiful. There's also a part between father and son that would make a stone heart weep. Though it's the undercurrent theme of water that amazes me, yet it's so fitting.

One thing I liked about the book itself is the fact there are discussion points for a bookclub after the story. This made me smile as I don't know of many book clubs near me, but the idea of a group of people, sat with coffee/tea and cake whilst talking through the water theme and giving their ideas just gave me a happy feeling.

Peace, love and all that jazz. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment