Friday 7 October 2011

Bag Books: On Beauty




On Beauty by Zadie Smith

I was pleasantly surprised by this book, as I didn't think I'd like it. I honestly bought it as part of a 2 for £5 offer (the other book being a present)and I only picked it up because the cover is so beautiful. I know, I know; 'Never judge a book by it's cover', but you have to agree, it's an awesome cover.

When I researched this book I found out that it seems to be a modern version of Howard's End, though as I've never read it I cannot make the comparison.

It follows the Belsey family, which has instantly recognisable charaters in it, you will know at least one of them in real life, through their rivalry with the Kipps's and their own family issues.

Like I said, I didn't think this story was for me, yet it really sucked me in, I pretty much fell in love with the strong character of Kiki, mother of the Belsey family.

There are some laugh out loud moments, and other times you want to weep.

I really enjoyed reading this book and I enjoyed the ending, which is more of a chapter ending than a story ending, so you know this family's story keeps on going.

Great book, worth a read.

Peace, love and all that jazz. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment