Friday 14 October 2011

Bag Books: Watchmen



Watchmen written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons

A little change from the norm as I'm reviewing a graphic novel. Why? You ask, well, I barely picked up the book I'm currently reading as I'm busy, but this is a great story, so I thought I'd share it with you. I also apologize if it's a bit of a thin review, as it's been a while since I've read it.

Surely you've seen/heard of the 2009 movie adaptation of the same name? My opinion, good effort but not brilliant. They tried to keep it true to the novel, they just failed with the ending.

Well the Watchmen graphic novel beautifully shows you character histories, their struggle to live without their masks in such a time.

There's always a sense of foreboding, and it's truly wonderful.

Even though I'm not much of a comic book reader, I really appreciate this work, for it's art and story telling, even if it is set in a time period and location that I don't have much grasp on, as I was born in England in 1990.

I whole heartily back this book, and think that even non-comic readers can appreciate it.
If you read it for the reason of "I like to read it before I see the movie" then maybe you'll appreciate how the movie tried to be true, and realise why the ending is different.

Read it, and appreciate it's magnificence.

Peace, love and all that jazz. xo



*Note* I've very recently got my hands on this, and I'm super excited to have my own copy, now I can read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment